This is the OLD website -- for the NEW & CURRENT website go to LONGLONGHONEYMOON.COM!

Friday, August 10, 2007

Airstream of Spokane



Yesterday we strolled into the Airstream of Spokane dealership, requested an arcane jack part, and voila! Not only did they know what part we needed, they had one in stock. I love it when that happens.

Then we enjoyed some great conversation that got me thinking about Airstream and Harley-Davidson. It also brought back some memories.

Almost 20 years ago, I took my first cross-country road trip. My friend Mike and I loaded up my 1985 Honda CRX (the Prius before fuel-efficiency was cool) and headed west. Our chosen route took us directly through Sturgis, South Dakota, during the legendary Black Hills Motorcycle Classic.

If you’ve never heard of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, it is the world’s largest gathering of motorcycle enthusiasts. We’re talking about more than a hundred thousand bikers, each of whom arrive aboard a rumbling mechanical steed. For a couple of weeks, the small town of Sturgis is transformed into a veritable ocean of wailing engines, black leather, scruffy beards, and weathered tattoos.

There was time when I observed those husband-and-wife teams who travel for thousands of miles to Sturgis aboard their Harley-Davidsons, and thought they were crazy. Well, let’s be honest: they probably are a little crazy. But now I admire their insanity. Perhaps Kristy and I possess some small measure of it.

Airstream is the Harley-Davidson of the RV world. Instead of black leather, we Airstreamers wear BLUE RUBBER, in the form of flip-flops and sanitary gloves.

But in all seriousness, there’s a shared cult enthusiasm for an iconic American company. Airstream and Harley-Davidson not only do things well… but they also do things differently.

----

Thanks to the good folks at Airstream of Spokane, our power jack is back online. We’re camping here in Spokane for one more night. Then we head further west towards Seattle.

4 comments:

Dr Carolyn said...

Enjoying your travel blog! A trip of a lifetime!
If you guys are in the area (around Seattle), stop by the Tin Can Tourist rally near Bellingham WA - it's at the Deming Log Show Grounds and starts Aug 16th thru 19th - come for one nite or the entire time - we'd love to see you there!

Sean and Kristy said...

Hi guys! Thanks for the comments and the info about the rally. I'm pretty sure we'll be in the area during those dates. We'll be visiting family in the Seattle area next week, and perhaps heading up to Vancouver. Anyway, we will try to make the rally... I'm sure it would be a lot of fun. Cheers, Sean

kelli said...

Sean,
I love your use of video in your blog. You do a fine job of documenting your adventure. Since your beginning I have linked you on my favorites on my blog (also about Airsteam travel) Take a look and maybe you can link me to yours! :)
K.

http://watch-and-learn.blogspot.com/

Sean and Kristy said...

hey K, thanks for the link. I will check out your blog! I'll also look into setting up favorites on our blog and doing a cross-link. So far we've kept it pretty bare bones.
Thanks also for your comments about the video. It's funny, but early on I didn't expect we'd have time to do much video. But we've had good luck with finding wireless access, and have enjoyed the creative outlet. Glad to know someone is watching!
Cheers, Sean